Sunday, December 30, 2007

Wearing no makeup

This is my New Years Resolution. It started when I received several of those Christmas letters that people send saying how wonderful their last year was. I'm no dummy. I could come up with several things to make my life seem idyllic, but it's not. Then I realized I post pictures that makes it look like I have my life together. I don't. I do try, but sometimes it gets messy. So, my resolution is to not post things that are perfect. Rather post what my life is really like. My house is a work in progress. We bought this 1927 Bungalow 10 yrs ago. We have made several improvements, but lots more are needed. Here's a tour of the less desirable areas.




This is my front porch. We took out the old carpet and took the paint off the walls 2 years ago. We haven't been out there since. And here's my blinds on the front porch. Feel free to enlarge picture so you can get the full effect of the dirt and grime on them. I could wash these things once a month and they'd still look like this. So, since we're not using the room, I've just let them continue their collection.




This is the spare room that we are working on. This will be my mothers room, hopefully soon. You can see my husband working. I'm taking the picture and blogging. Hah, who's got the better job?

Here's my bathroom. The wallpaper was falling down after being up only 2 yrs. I took it down thinking I would just paint. My husband, who is a perfectionist, said to wait until we can do it right. That was at least 5 yrs ago. I should have just put some paint up.

Here's the ceiling on my bathroom. Lovely, isn't it?

Oh, and here's one thing that I complain about all the time. See that dog hair? I didn't have to look far for that sample. It's all over my house. But, to be honest, I wouldn't want to live without it. It means I have happy healthy animals around me. I don't think I could ever be without them.

Finally, here's my progress on my son-in-law's scarf.


I hope you all have a very Happy New Year. Know that life is not perfect, you are normal. It's the journey that matters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not alone with unfinished house projects. Our laundry room ceiling has been partially ripped out for 1.5 years and we've had a duct taped hole in the kitchen ceiling since August. The laundry room is being worked on this vacation, but as for the kitchen ceiling - who knows?

kimberly said...

Ha, we have dog and cat hair all over our house too. And like your Karen, both of our pets follow into the bathroom too - they seem to think that the toilet is the official "petting chair". Happy New year!

Sandy said...

YAY! For dirt and grime! Welcome to my world~
Thanks for sharing your real life!

ChiLibrarian said...

I think our houses may be twins! I also have a bungalow in Batavia. If you (or someone before you) remodeled the kitchen, I'd love to see those pics. Cool resolution, by the way.